Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Diversions

This particular blog is meant to be like the most recent Star Wars films; relevant (in that its the chronicles of Jon and I and family) but fun in how completely off they are from the originals. Well, its really only fun if you like old cars and squirrels.

It all started last Monday when we came home from a fabulous weekend in New Hampshire. We had spent the weekend at my aunt and uncle’s second house on the lake, who graciously lent us one of their rooms and made their daughter sleep on the couch. I am going to owe my cousin Jack a fabulous bridesmaid gift!! :-) It was also a lovely weekend because a good portion of my family ended up there; even my mom came up and stayed at my grandmothers house (Right next to my aunt and uncle’s)! Really, it was all thanks to my Grandfather, whose birthday we were celebrating. So how did we celebrate?With a family game of cards and dessert, of course! Sure no one looks that happy, but the game lasted until 2 am...you would be too tired to play harts too. Then again, no one in this family is willing to admit defeat. Especially not mom (reference: Jon's face)

Hearts is the game of choice when we get together. Not that anyone had any heart for granny, who took point after point:As you can tell from Grandpa and Jessie's expression, it didn't matter anyway; I ended up kicking everyones butts. Either that or she just took one of many queen of spades :-)

Now I can’t get away from telling you that we also celebrated just being together. This involved waterskiing (both Jon and Jessie got to slaloming, although Jon is still complaining about a particularly bad fall the bruised his ribs….)

But my ultimate favorite was swimming with




Jon,









Jessie,







Jack (I didn't get a pic, but aren't we cute?),













Leela, and of course, Leela’s red bone :







So where do the squirrels and cars come in? Well our happy weekend came to an end when we got back and discovered that squirrels like bananas. So much so, that they are willing to chew and claw through a screen to get at them.


You can tell from this picture that the bananas were left on the sill where the little mo fo broke through. Needless to say, no more food will be left on the sill. Thankfully the little guy was gone by the time we got back, but Jon claims to have seen him at the screen again.

And the car? Well, fast forward to this past weekend, when Jon and I went north again (more info on our visit to our first venue to come!) and met half way up there so we had to drive part of the way south together in different cars on the way home. Around the New Bedford area Jon called and told me to pull over at the next exit. He was “sick of driving my car”. I detected irritation in his voice, and my fear multiplied when he pulled over immediately, got out, and told me to go look at the car. After a few tense moments he mentioned the odometer, and I remembered, my car was turning 200,000 miles old soon!

Jon was so gracious letting me drive those last and fist miles around 200,000. There was a fair bit of slow driving, taking pictures, and honking that ensued.

1 comment:

Jennifer Chernoff said...

I just started singing "Yes! We have no Bananas!" lol.